125 Years Since the Birth of Aleksandar Deroko
Aleksandar Deroko (1894 – 1988) was a Serbian architect, professor at the Department of Architecture at the Faculty of Architecture at the University of Belgrade. He is the author of numerous books in the field of architecture, but also other areas. He became a member of the Serbian Academy of Sciences and Arts in 1956.
Prior to the war, Deroko was a versatile athlete, and he also worked in modeling. He designed and built one of the first gliders in Serbia. The outbreak of World War I found him studying. He participated in the war as one of the 1300 Corporals, when he became one of the first Serbian war pilots on the Salonika Front.
At the end of the war, he continued studying architecture and art in Rome, Prague (he also spent two semesters at the Faculty of Architecture and Construction of the Czech Technical University in Prague), Brno and Belgrade, where he graduated in 1926. As a scholarship holder of the French government, he went to Paris where he socialized with Picasso, Šumanović, Le Corbusier, Rastko Petrović and others.
He won the competition for the project of the Temple of St. Sava in 1926, and later he designed the project with architect Bogdan Nestorović and worked on its construction from 1939 – 1941. With Peter Anagnosti he designed the Theological Boarding School in Belgrade, the so-called Bogoslovija, as well as the Eparchial lodge in Niš; he is the author of the Monument to the Heroes of Kosovo in Kosovo Field, the lodge of the Žiča Monastery, the Temple of the Transfiguration of Christ in New Sarajevo, the Chapel of the Vidovdan Heroes, where Gavrilo Princip was buried and many churches.
During World War II Deroko was imprisoned in a detention camp in Banjica. On several occasions (1954, 1956 and 1965), he traveled to the Holy Mount Athos, on whose architecture and life he left valuable data. He is the author of the books Holy Mount Athos, People’s Construction, Medieval Cities in Serbia, Macedonia and Montenegro, Monumental and Decorative Architecture in Medieval Serbia, Roman Monuments in Đerdap, Architecture of the Old Age, Medieval Cities on the Danube, Athos, And Then an Airplane Flew Above Belgrade, Mischievs Around Kalimegdan.
He is the holder of the Albanian Commemorative Medal, the winner of the Seventh of July Award, the Order of the Red Banner of Labour, the Order of the Republic with Gold Wreath, the French Médaille du mérite and the October Award of Belgrade.
Expert collaboration: Serbian Academy of Sciences and Arts.
Artistic realization of the issue: Boban Savić, MA, academic painter.
150 Years Since the Birth of Slobodan Jovanović
Slobodan Jovanović (Novi Sad, Austro-Hungarian Empire, 1869 – London, United Kingdom, 1958) was a Serbian scientist and university professor, jurist, historian and a man of letters, President of the Serbian Royal Academy, Chancellor of the University of Belgrade, Dean of the Faculty of Law, President of the Serbian Cultural Club. Having completed a grammar school in Belgrade in 1886, he studied at the faculties of law in Munich, Zurich and Geneva and at the Free School of Political Sciences in Paris in 1890/1891. For a time he was a state grantee of the Kingdom of Serbia. He was the Professor at the Faculty of Law from 1897 till 1940. Upon retirement, he continued to work as a part-time Professor. He was the President of the Serbian Royal Academy from 1928 till 1930. He was one of the founders of Serbian Literary Gazette in 1901. He was elected corresponding member of Serbian Royal Academy on 4 February 1905, and in 1908 he became its full-time member. He was president of Serbian Royal Academy from 1928 untill 1930. During the Balkan Wars and the World War I, Slobodan Jovanović was the chief of the Press Bureau of the Supreme Command’s Intelligence Department. After the retreat over Albania, he spent some time in Thessaloniki and Corfu. At the Peace Conference in Paris in 1919, he was the head of the legal section of delegation of the Kingdom of Serbs, Croats and Slovenes. He wrote papers in a variety of fields – theories of state and law, consitutional law, political philosophy, general history and Serbian history of XIX and XX centuries, sociology, studying of literary works, literary and theatrical criticism. His studies were written in his famous Belgrade style. His collected works were published in 1930s in several volumes. After the Yugoslav coup d’état of 27 March 1941, he accepted the invitation to join the multi-party government as the second Vice-President of the Ministerial Council (Government). He died in London in 1958. In early 1990s, his collected works were re-published in Belgrade. He was rehabilitated in 2007, and solemnly buried in Belgrade in 2011.
Expert collaboration: Serbian Academy of Sciences and Arts. Artistic realization of the issue: MA Boban Savić, academic painter.
150 Years Since the Birth of Miloje Vasić
Miloje M. Vasić, an archeologist and university professor was born in Veliko Gradište on 16 September, 1869. He completed classical philology and history at the Belgrade Great School in 1892. For a certain period of time he worked as a teacher at the Grammar School in Veliko Gradište and Negotin. In 1895 he was appointed assistant guardian at the National Museum in Belgrade. With the help of Mihajlo Valtrović, he obtained a scholarship for the study of archeology in Berlin (1896 – 1898) and then moved to Munich with Professor A. Furtvengler (1898 – 1899) and defended his dissertation Torch in the Cult and Art of the Greeks (Die Fackel in Kultus und Kunst der Griechen). He was the director of the National Museum from 1906 to 1914. He became an associate professor in 1920, and from 1922 he was a full time professor until his retirement in 1939. He chaired an archeological seminar (1903 – 1939) and was editor of Starinar from 1922 – 1939. After the World War II he re-activated himself as a full time professor (1947 – 1955) and participated in establishing the Archeological Institute. Since 1949 he was a correspondent, and since 1952 a full member of the Serbian Academy of Sciences and Arts
He published a number of treatises and articles in the fields of prehistory, classical and medieval archeology, numismatics, art history, religious history and ethnology. His scientific work began in 1894 with the publication of works on Pincum (Veliko Gradište) and Viminacium, Roman cities on the soil of present-day Serbia. In his scientific work, he rejected earlier archeological methods, based on the collection of materials and their descriptions, and gave expert analyses, placing the findings in a broader cultural and historical context. From 1899 to 1911 he excavated at several sites in Serbia. The results of the research, published in the studies Contributions to Trojan Problems Solving (1906), Žuto Brdo (1907) and Gradac (1911), are significant because they lay the foundations of archeological science in Serbia.
Since 1911 he began systematic research in Vinča but discontinued it due to the First World War. After the end of the war it was not possible to continue excavations due to the lack of money, so he began studying medieval architecture and art. On these researches he published the works Architecture and Sculpture in Dalmatia from the IX to the 15th Century (1922) and Žiča and Lazarica (1928). He continued with systematic excavations in Vinča (1929 – 1934), and the result of this research was the work Prehistoric Vinča I – IV (1932 – 1936). He died in Belgrade on 4 November, 1956.
Expert collaboration: National Museum Veliko Gradište.
Artistic realization of the issue: Boban Savić, MA, academic painter.