The mediaeval Golubac Fortress is situated on the right bank of the Danube, on a location with exceptional strategic importance: a rocky ridge overlooking and controlling the waterway through the Đerdap Gorge. The first written mention of the Fortress dates back to 1335, when it was held by the Hungarians. As a border fortification, Golubac had a very turbulent history: it changed hands among Serbs, Hungarians and Turks.
To provide more space, the fortress was expanded to the west with additional ramparts and towers with a ditch in front, forming an outer ward. Similar to the older sections of the fortification, the new towers and ramparts were designed for cold-weapon warfare. In the last significant construction phase, at the end of the 15th century when Golubac was in the Turkish hands, the towers and ramparts were reinforced. That provided them with a new either round or polygonal form. These reinforcements were built to make the towers more resistant to cannons and firearms. At the same time, a low polygonal tower was built projecting to the Danube where the cannons were mounted on two storeys, making the Fortress more adapted to the new warfare techniques.
A settlement was formed west of the fortification, where, according to old pictures, a church was built as well. At the time of the Turkish rule, a mosque and a hammam were built in the settlement’s outlying district.
Expert collaboration: Institute for the Protection of Cultural Monuments of Serbia – Belgrade;
Tourist Organisation Golubac.
Graphic design of the issue: MA Anamari Banjac, Academic Painter