Cities of Serbia

1,18 

Commemorative postage stamps

Year of issue: 2019

In stock


Description

Zrenjanin
Zrenjanin is the largest city of the Serbian part of Banat and its political, economic, cultural and sports center. According to the territory size which administratively belongs to it (1326 km2), it is the largest in the Autonomous province of Vojvodina and the second largest in the Republic of Serbia. In the city itself and 22 other settlements live around 140 thousands of inhabitants and more than 20 nations. The city has been developing along with the tradition almost seven centuries long, because as a settlement under the name of Bečkerek it is mentioned in 1326 for the first time.

When you come to Zrenjanin today, you come to the city of multiculturality, international tolerance, and you also come to the city of culture, art, sport, the city of bridges, of the young and the city of the powerful economic momentum. Zrenjanin is recognized by the choirs of the world renomme, the National Museum or the Historic Archive, but also by sports names such as Dejan Bodiroga, Snežana Perić, Grbić brothers, Ivan Lenđer, Ivana Španović, and Maja Ognjenović. It can be recognized by the top quality shows of the puppet theatre, aquarrel art colony, culture events and traditional tourist and economic event ’’Days of Beer’’, which is held during the last week of August for over thirty years.

At the crossroads of important land and water ways, placed 50 km from Novi Sad, 75 km from Belgrade and 50 km from the European Union border (Romania), Zrenjanin is an open city today, ready to accept new ideas, ways of business thinking or development of new technologies. Zrenjanin is a city of traditional hospitality and possibilities for a pleasant holiday in its surroundings.

Stamp and Maximum card motif: City Hall, the former County Palace, built between 1817–1820 on the foundations of the Bečkerek Fortress.

Vignette motif: Small bridge with Court building. The Small bridge is the oldest bridge in the city, erected in 1904. Its surroundings make it the most interesting architectural whole of the old town core.

FDC motif: The Court building, a cultural monument of great importance, erected in the period 1906–1908 year, according to the project of architect Sandor Eigner.

Expert collaboration: Sanja Petrović, Assistant Director of TO of City of Zrenjanin. Artistic realization: MA Anamari Banjac, academic painter.

Pančevo
The city of Pančevo is located in the Southern Banat and is bounded by the Danube and Tamiš Rivers. Owing to its position, it attracted people to settle here from ancient times, but many conquerors as well: from mediaeval times the Serbian, Hungarian, Turkish and Austrian rulers took their turns. Rich cultural and industrial heritage, multicultural spirit of the city and closeness to Belgrade as the capital city, make Pančevo almost ideal for living.

From times immemorial, Pančevo has been known as a commercial and craftsmen’s town, from which the top-quality silk, wheat, salt, famous Weifert beer and various artisan products travelled by steamboat to Europe. Closeness to the Deliblato Sands and its wavy edges, as well as the Old Town, have always attracted film crews, and Pančevo was the host to many big stars of both Yugoslav and world cinematography, who in the town on Tamiš made more than one hundred films. Among the famous artists, scientists and researchers who lived and worked in Pančevo were Mihailo Pupin, Jovan Jovanović Zmaj, Đorđe Weifert, Isidora Sekulić, Dr Vladimir Aleksić, Dušan Bošković, archpriest Vasa Živković, Uroš Predić, Stevan Aleksić, Ilija Kolarac, Jovan Pavlović, brothers Kamenko and Pavle Jovanović, Dr Mihovil Tomandl, Dr Svetislav Kasapinović, Milan Ćurčin, Miloš Crnjanski, Miroslav Antić, and many others.

“Folk Garden” city park, Vojlovica Monastery, Church of Transfiguration, Church of Assumption of the Mother of God, Evangelistic Church, Roman Catholic Church of Saint Charles Borromeo, Lighthouse on the confluence of Tamiš into the Danube, Red Warehouse, are some of the symbols of Pančevo

Stamp motif: city centre, Vojvoda Radomir Putnik Street. FDC and vignette motif: Church of Assumption of the Mother of God, known to the Pančevo citizens as the Two-Tower Church built in 1811. The two towers symbolised the Serbian people in two empires – Turkish and Austrian.

Maximum card motif: Lighthouses on the confluence of Tamiš into Danube, built in 1909. Today they are the only two lighthouses left on the entire flow of the Danube.

Expert collaboration: Dr Živana Krejić, Docent, and “Visit Pančevo” Association. Artistic realization: MA Anamari Banjac, academic painter.

 

Related products...